Wednesday, July 8, 2020

Bountiful Harvest; Anna Apples

We have an ultra-dwarf Anna Apple Tree in the garden. This year the tree gave forth a bumper crop of beautiful apples. I tried to keep from harvesting the apples, to give them a chance to blush a little more, and for them to hang on long enough for the girlies to pick when they came to visit, which would only be in a few more weeks. Very recently, one early morning in the garden, to my dismay, I found a partially-chewed apple dangling from the branches of my dear apple tree. Papa Paz helped me figure out it must be a raccoon. He based his guess on the size of the chew marks and the location of the eaten apple. We tried to deter its efforts, but that critter managed to outsmart us every time and each night came back for more, one apple per night. Thankfully, I only lost three healthy, beautiful apples, but every night I would worry about what damage there would be in the morning. It came to me, these apples must be ripe enough to pick if they were such an enticement. I decided to pick every last one myself before I lost anymore, and so I did. That was the end of the drama. So far, from this bounty, I have made scrumptious Apple Crisp, Apple Butter, and Apple Pie Filling. There's still more apples. Next, I'll be putting up some Applesauce and there will still be enough for an Apple Bundt Cake or two. We are thankful for God's many blessings and for this bountiful harvest!

No comments:

Post a Comment